Preliminary Design and Usability Report
For the preliminary design, provide a URL and a list of the pages so I can view the current state of your site. At least five pages must have a complete design and all the content.
Most students use an Excel spreadsheet to check the below criteria for each page, and hand that in along with the list of pages.
You will be evaluated on the conformance of your site to the usability principles we've discussed in class. If you believe that you have good reason to not conform with one or more of the below criteria, please note your reasoning in your report.
Your project will be graded on the following criteria:
- Load time less than 3 seconds (DSL simulation), or justify not meeting this guideline.
- Logo is link to home page (you can have a dummy home page if you haven't designed the page yet)
- Home page named index.html or equivalent
- Clear navigation system that works for the pages you're showing me
- Styles contained in a separate, linked style sheet
- Appropriate contrast and readable text
- Left-aligned body text
- Images in appropriate formats, sized appropriately, optimized
- Alt text on image where appropriate, per formula
- Appropriate font stacks (screen friendly typefaces with fallbacks)
- Minimum text size 1 em (16 px)
- Has clear, concise, unique page title per forumula
- Conforming file and directory names
- Clear structure of content in appropriate subdirectories (e.g., an images directory for your images, or something more complex if your site is more complex)
- Appropriate use of CSS rules (e.g., IDs used once per page)